Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Tuesdays with Morrie" Blog

Sooooo,

In the matter of hours that it took for me to read Tuesdays with Morrie, I probably rethought my life plans at least ten times. This book seems to invite people not only to see the difference that a change (albeit one which eventually claimed his life) made in Morrie’s life, but also for readers to examine what a change in their own lifestyles might look like. Also, it is interesting that I read this book in the week following the inauguration of a president who was elected on a platform of change for the country. That one, however, we might have to wait to see what happens.

I have recently found myself in the same kind of situation that Mitch Albom, the author, found himself in during his college career. In the book, I think it was described as life constantly pulling, back and forth. I find myself being attracted to two completely different areas of work and as the clock on my college career ticks down (I know, still more than two years remaining), I am constantly struggling with which would be better suited to me. And not just that, but also, in which would I be able to effect a more tangible positive impact on the world around me. Even as we sit in our classes and discuss the “big questions of life,” my future is a subject which is under constant tension as each moment has the potential to pull it further in one direction or the other.

This book also applies very clearly to our Paideia cohort, Understanding Human Behavior. Morrie was a wise man who, in his last days, was able to describe the problem with modern U.S. culture in a blunt manner so that those of us who wished to hear it could. I do truly believe what he said about having to “create your own culture” if you wish to live connected to other people. American society has always encouraged individuality to the point where we almost advocate a radical individuality, in which anyone who does not find their identity independently – that is, free of familial restraints and any person who wishes to exert influence – is not accepted into American society. One can source the emergence of cliques in schools at early ages to this phenomenon. Not only are we forced to find an identity at an early age to fit in, but then we are also forced to be friends with only those who identify the way we do.

The goal of Paideia is to engage ourselves in our community in a way that not only the community benefits, but so do we. I feel like Morrie sort of lived this every day as a teacher, as do all teachers. He played an integral role in educating minds and gave more than was necessary because it only increased the amount that he received in return. Of course, I might be impartial as my parents are both educators who I have witnessed over the years, give themselves to their students more than was necessary only to have the benefits returned to them tenfold. Morrie taught me a lot, and I hope that his lessons will stay with me as I finally ease the tension when making my future career choice and allow myself to be pulled in one single direction.

Until class,
Brady

No comments: